WHITEWATER PADDLE CAMP
New for 2018, the Whitewater Paddle Camp is here for one reason: running rapids is really fun!
Similar to the Paddle Camp during the week prior, we start on day one at a local lake make sure everyone is comfortable in the boats and with our safety procedures (July 9). Then we are off for 3 nights and 4 days of self-propelled, learning on the land! (July 10 – 13). It’s a great opportunity to be with a peer group in canoes, setting up camp and learning to navigate down rapids on a local river. We focus on beginning leadership skills, and encourage everyone to support each other in this exciting wilderness adventure.
WHat to expect?
Our goal is to have an awesome camp that is really fun while introducing campers to the thrill of moving water in a safe and supportive environment. Feedback and experience from our 2017 camp showed that kids love whitewater and were looking for a camp to work on these skills. Under the coaching and supervision from our experienced instructors, campers will understand the basics of paddling, rescues and safety on northern rivers. This camp will be designed as a stepping stone for our more advanced river camps for high school students, as well as families aspiring to take their kids on extended, back-country trips on northern rivers.
We’ll do most of our learning on Class I rapids, with the occasional Class II run, depending on the ability of our group. We introduce campers to whitewater rescue, including throw bags and safety for self-rescues and swimming in rapids. There will be lots of time for camp games, bush skills, fishing and exploring!
Previous participation in a Jackpine Paddle Camp is not a pre-requisite, but will be an asset, as is previous paddling experience.
Location: TBA. We are considering several routes on the Cameron and Yellowknife river systems, but will need to wait until we see water levels in spring 2018 before a final decision is made on our route.
What is Included?
- Canoes, paddles, lifejackets and all safety and rescue equipment related to paddling (campers may bring their own equipment if they wish)
- Snacks during the day on July 9, and all meals during our over-night trip from July 10-13.
- Jackpine Paddle Gear
- Jackpine Paddle Stickers
- 5 days and 3 nights of instruction, coaching and supervision
- Online photos and a camp video
- Introduction to Moving Water Canoe Certification (Paddle Canada), Introduction to Canoe Tripping Certification (Paddle Canada)
- Satellite tracking and messaging through a Garmin Inreach device so parents and guardians can track our progress online and send messages to campers
- AN UNFORGETTABLE SUMMER CAMP EXPERIENCE!
Who, When and How Much?
All youth in grades 3-8.
PRICE: $595 + GST
July 9 (8:30am-5:00pm), 10 – 13, 2018 (overnight trip!)